Last updated: April 2016
- 2016 B.A in Political Science, University of Gothenburg
- 2011-2012 Pedagogical Training for Teaching in Higher Education, (various certificates), University of Gothenburg
- 2011 PhD. in Sociology, Department of Sociology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2006 M.A. in Sociology. Minor in: Political Science, Economics, and Mathematics. University of Gothenburg, & University of Jönköping, Sweden.
- 2013, Sept. – 2016, Sept. International Post-Doc, Department of Sociology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2011, May – 2013, Aug. Lecturer/Researcher, Department of Sociology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2006, Mar. – 2011, Apr. Doctoral student, Department of Sociology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2016, Jan - 2016, Jun. Department of Sociology, University of Cambridge, the UK.
- 2015, Sept. – 2015, Dec. Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, the U.S.
- 2015, Feb. – 2015, Sept. Department of Economics, The New School for Social Research, New York, the U.S.
- 2013, Sept. – 2015, Jan. The Max Planck Institute for the Studies of Societies, Cologne, Germany.
- 2012, Mar. – 2012, Apr. Townsend Center for International Poverty Research, University of Bristol, the UK.
- 2010, Feb. – 2010, Apr Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge, the UK.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- 2016, Daoud, Adel, Björn Halleröd, and Deberati Guha Sapir , “What is the association between absolute child poverty, poor governance, and natural disasters? A global comparison of some of the realities of climate change” PLoS ONE, Vol 11, issue 4 http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153296
- 2016, Nandy, S, A. Daoud, D Gordon, “Examining the changing profile of undernutrition in the context of food price rises and greater inequality”, Social Science & Medicine. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.11.036
- 2015 Daoud, Adel, “Quality of Governance, Corruption, and Absolute Child Poverty in India” Journal of South Asian Development, August 10:119-147. doi: 10.1177/0973174115588844
- 2013 Bjorn Halleröd, Bo Rothstein, Adel Daoud, Shailen Nandy , (2013) “Bad Governance and Poor Children: A Comparative analysis of government efficiency and severe child deprivation in 68 low- and middle-income countries”, World Development, vol 48 (August), pp.19-31. doi:10.1016/j.worlddev.2013.03.007
- 2012 Söderberg, J and A. Daoud (2012) “Atoms want to be free too! – expanding the critique of intellectual property to physical goods”, in Critical Theory and Political Economy of the Internet @ Nordmedia 2011” Christian Fuchs and Göran Bolin (eds). Online at Cognition, Communication, Co-operation. Vol 10 No 1. Link
- 2011 Daoud A. and Puaca G. (2011), “An organic view of want formation: pragmatic rationality, habitus and reflexivity”, British Journal of Sociology of Education, 32 (4), July. doi:10.1080/01425692.2011.578440
- 2011 Daoud A. and Larsson B. (2011) “Economic Sociology – Old and New”, International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education. 2 (3), pp. 255-269. doi: 10.1504/IJPEE.2011.044270
- 2011 Puaca, G and Daoud, A (2011) “Vilja och framtid i frågor kring utbildningsval”, Pedagogisk Forskning. 16(2), 100–117. E-ISSN 2001-3345
- 2011 Daoud, A (2011) “The Modus Vivendi of Material Simplicity: Counteracting Scarcity via the Deflation of Wants”, Review of Social Economy, 69(3), pp. 275-305. (won the Association of Social Economics’ Helen Potter Award for best article 2011). doi:10.1080/00346764.2010.502832
- 2010 Daoud, A (2010), ‘Robbins and Malthus on Scarcity, Abundance, and Sufficiency: The Missing Sociocultural Element’ American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 69(4), pp. 1206-1229. doi: 10.1111/j.1536-7150.2010.00741.x
- 2007 Daoud, A. (2007) “(Quasi)Scarcity and Global Hunger: A Sociological Critique of the Scarcity Postulate with an Effort to Synthesis”, Journal of Critical Realism, 6 (2), pp. 199-225.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1558/jocr.v6i2.199
- 2014 [Edited book] Daoud, Adel, editor, (with Reza Azarian and Bengt Larsson), Ekonomisk sociologi– en introduktion. Liber. Stockholm. 978-91-47-11137-4
- 2011 [PhD thesis] Daoud, A (2011) Scarcity, Abundance, and Sufficiency: Contributions to Social and Economic Theory, Göteborg Studies in Sociology No 46, Gothenburg. 978-91-979397-1-3
- 2008 [Edited book] Daoud Adel.(with Bengtsson Mattias., and Seldén, Daniel.) (2008) En realistisk sociologi i praktiken. Nio texter om samhället, Department of Sociology Research rapport nr 141. University of Gothenburg: Intellecta Infolog AB, Gothenburg. ISBN 0072-5099
Book chapters, Reports, and Other publications.
- 2016 Daoud, Adel and Kohl, Sebastian, How Much Do Sociologists Write About Economic Topics? Using Big-Data to Test Some Conventional Views in Economic Sociology, 1890 to 2014. MPIfG Discussion Paper 16/7 [peer-reviewed]
- 2015 Daoud, Adel and Kohl, Sebastian, Is there a New Economic Sociology Effect? A Topic Model on the Economic Orientation of Sociology, 1890 to 2014. Working Paper 20/2015, Department of Economics, The New School For Social Research. Link
- 2015 Daoud, Adel, Halleröd, Björn, and Guha-Sapir, Debarati. Quality of Government and the Relationship between Natural Disasters and Child Poverty: A Comparative Analysis. MPIfG Discussion Paper 15/5. Link
- 2015 Daoud, Adel. (with Fazil Moradi, Roukaya Ibrahim, Shailen Nandy), “Iraq”, The SAGE Encyclopedia of World Poverty, Second Edition, edited by Joanne Steinberg. Link
- 2015 Daoud, Adel. (2015), “Scarcity and artificial scarcity”, The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Consumption and Consumer Studies, edited by Michael Ryan and Dan Cook. [by invitation] ISBN: 978-0-470-67284-6. DOI: 10.1002/9781118989463.wbeccs202
- 2014 Daoud, Adel and Larsson, Bengt, (2014) “Den nya ekonomiska sociologin” in Ekonomi och Samhälle – en introduktion Liber. Stockholm. 978-91-47-11137-4
- 2014 Daoud, Adel (with Reza Azarian and Bengt Larsson), (2014) “Introduktion” in Ekonomi och Samhälle – en introduktion Liber. Stockholm. 978-91-47-11137-4
- 2012 Daoud, Adel. 2012, Book review “Remaking Scarcity: From Capitalist Inefficiency to Economic Democracy” By Costas Panayotakis, London, U.K.: Pluto Press, 2011, ISBN: 978-0-7453-3099-0; 224 pages. Reviewed for the Heterodox Economics Newsletter, Issue 134. Link
- 2012 Daoud, Adel and Elam, Mark (2012)“Country report – Sweden”, Deliverable report for the project for International Socio-Technical Challenges for implementing geological disposal, funded by by the European Commission under the Seventh Euratom Framework Programme for Nuclear Research &Training Activities. Link
- 2008 Daoud Adel (with Puaca Goran), (2008) “Om att vilja sin framtid” in Bengtsson Mattias., Daoud Adel., and Seldén, Daniel. En realistisk sociologi i praktiken. Nio texter om samhället, Department of Sociology Research rapport nr 141. University of Gothenburg: Intellecta Infolog AB, Gothenburg. ISBN 0072-5099
INVITED TALKS (selected)
- 2016, Apr. Seminar, The International Monetary Fund´s Structural Adjustments, Spiking Food Prices, and Child Undernutrition in Low and Middle-income Countries: Some Preliminary Findings. The Centre for Diet and Activity Research, Institute for Public Health, University of Cambridge, the United Kingdom.
- 2016, Feb. Seminar, IMF Conditionality, Food Prices, and Child Undernutrition, 2000-2014, Department of Sociology, University of Cambridge, the United Kingdom.
- 2015, Dec. Seminar, Using R in Computational Social Science Research: with some Implications for Health Research, Department of Health Policy and Management, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, the United States
- 2015, May Lecturer, Impact of the Financial Crisis on Children, Children, Rights, Poverty, Equality in Development, May 5th, 6pm – 8 pm, The New School for Social Research, Graduate Program in International Affairs, New York, USA.
- 2015, Mar. Discussant to Prof. Sanjay Reddy, The Global Consumption and Income Project, at INET Seminar Series at Columbia University, chaired by Joseph Stiglitz, March 27, 5-7pm, at Columbia Uris Hall - Calder Lounge Room
- 2014, Dec. Seminar on (with Barbara Fulda), Using R-programming for Social Scientific Inquiry, at Max Planck Studies for Societies, Cologne, Germany.
- 2014, June Seminar on The Economic Sociology of Scarcity, Jens Beckert´s sociology of markets research seminar. 18 June, the Max Planck Institute for Studies of Societies
- 2013, Sep. Discussant to Patrik Aspers, Identity, Relation, and Existence: the Market Case, at Economic Sociology and New Theoretical Directions, Noors Slott, 1-15 September, 2013.
- 2013, Oct. Seminar on Reflections about writing your PhD, at Max Planck´s IMPRS-SPCE Graduate Retreat, Oct 25, in Wuppertal, Germany
- 2011, Oct. Public talk, Vad kan ekonomisk sociologi bidra till vår kunskap om ekonomin? - Fokus på resursknapphet, Social Science day (Samhällsvetenskapens dag), 8 oktober, 2011
- 2010, May Lecture on Atlas.ti training session, Monday 17 May, Department of Sociology, University of Cambridge
- 2010, May Seminar on What is Scarcity? At Tony Lawson´s Cambridge Realist Workshop. 8 – 10 pm, 8 may, Clare College, Trinity Lane, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2010, May Seminar on Educational choices, habitus and reflexivity, 12 – 1 pm Institute of Education, University of London, 25 May, the United Kingdom.
- 2010, Apr. Seminar on Scarcity, Abundance, and Sufficiency: some implications for Sustainability, 5 – 6.30 pm, Coslett 124, 28 April, 2010, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
GRANTS, HONOURS AND AWARDS
Grants & Funding
- 2016: 519 000 SEK. The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education, Postdoctoral Transition Grants for Internationalisation programme.
- 2013: 3,3 million SEK, The Impact of the 2008 Financial Crisis on Child Poverty in Developing Countries. Swedish Research Council.
- 2011: 6,5 million SEK, (with David Gordon , Bristol University, UK: Bo Rothstein, University of Gothenburg, Sweden: Björn Halleröd, University of Gothenburg, Sweden) (Project leader: Björn Halleröd) Child poverty, policies and quality of government. Swedish Research Council.
- 2010: 100 000 SEK, Travel grant, The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education.
- 2007-2010: Various grants: Adlerbertska forskningsstiftelse (35 000 SEK); Stiftelsen Lars Hieretas Minne (35 000 SEK); Knut och Alice Wallenbergs stiftelse (16 000 SEK).
Academic & Pedagogic Recognitions
- 2013 Supervised the bachelor thesis ”Demokratimåttets betydelse för forskningsresultat om barnfattigdomsreducering i utvecklingsländer” written by Inga-Lisa Adler and Elisabeth Lindh, which was awarded an academic prize by Stiftelsen Torgny Segerstedts Minne.
- 2012 Nominated for Götas pedagogiska pris vid Samhällsvetenskapliga fakulteten. Theme – communicating knowledge. Pedagogical prize.
- 2011 Association of Social Economics’ Helen Potter Award presented each year to a promising scholar of social economics for authoring the best article in the Review of Social Economy. Academic prize
- 2007 - American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Journal of Economic Psychology, Journal of Critical Realism, Journal of International Migration and Integration, International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education, Journal of Institutional Economics, Review of Political Economy, Organization studies, Socio-Economic Review, PLOSONE, Max Planck Institute working paper series, Economia Politica, Social Indiactors Research, International Journal of Green Economics.
- 2016, Jan. - Nominated for the post Trustee Executive Council for the Association for Social Economics. www.socialeconomics.org
- 2008, Jan. - 2009 Trustee and Secretary at the Doctoral Students Council for University of Gothenburg (central), Sweden.
- 2007, Aug. - 2009 Trustee at the Doctoral Students Council for the Faculty of Social Science (social science branch), University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2007 – 2010 Chairman for the Gothenburg Critical realism Workshop, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2007, July – 2013 Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Green Economics, July 2007-2013
Conference and Seminar organizing
- 2013 Organizer (with Reza Azarian, Bengt Larsson, och Patrik Aspers) for the authors of the book Ekonomi och Samhälle – en introduktion. Liber. Stockholm., 24-25 September, University of Uppsala, Sweden.
- 2012, May. Chairman and Conference moderator for Nordic Network for Critical Realism, Social Structure and Human Agency – Breaking New Ground , May 29-30 2012, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2011 - 2012 Member of the local organizer committee for hosting a conference for Nordic Network for Critical Realism: contact person: Freddy Winston Castro or professor Berth Danermark, Örebro University.
- 2009 - 2010 Member of the local organizer committee and organizer of the volunteers, XVII World Congress of sociology, 11-17 July, 2010. Contact person: professor Ulla Björnberg, Department of sociology, University of Gothenburg.
- 2009 Organizer for the workshop Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) and the Case-Study Method held by Wendy Olsen, Wednesday 4th November, Department of Sociology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2015- The Max Planck Society Alumni Fellows, The Assosiaction for Social Economics.
- Past International Sociological Assosiation; Swedish Sociological Assosiation; Cambridge Social Ontology Group; Assosication for Heterodox Economics.
- Arabic (mother tongue: fluent in speech, basic in writing)
- Swedish (fluent)
- English (fluent)
- German (basic)
- Norwegian (fluent in speech, basic in writing)
- Danish (basic)
- Nationality: Swedish
- 2013-2014 Further training (selected): Social Network Analysis, Max Planck Institute for the Studies of Societies, Germany; Multilevel analysis at the Centre for Multilevel Modelling, University of Bristol, the UK; and R-programming at Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Software: R-programming, SPSS, STATA, Mplus, LaTeX, Markdown, EndNote, Zotero